We (the 2 Boomer Broads) have just come back from a short hiatus. Life happened. What can we say? Were glad to be back and missed you terribly as well as each other. Hope you missed us too.
Sharone had a routine colonoscopy and Rebecca went along for the ride, so guess what this episode is about? That’s right! It’s all about having a colonoscopy. Aren’t you excited? Most people over 50 have one at one time or another, so it’s important to talk about. Of course, we keep it super funny.
Highlights from the show
Recording from the waiting room at St. Elsewhere.
Sharone says her colonoscopy wasn’t anything like Katie Couric’s experience. Katie must have had a spinal block when she did it. Sharone’s was AHHHHHHHH! (At this point in the podcast hold your ears, because Sharone blows out the mic)
She expected to be put under but wasn’t. Even though she’s a medical geek, she says she didn’t appreciate the sight of her bright pink colon at that time.
The result: Sharone had two tiny polyps which were, fortunately, benign. However, polyps that go unchecked can turn cancerous, so it’s important to have the procedure if you need it.
A friend of both of us was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and is now doing well. Thank goodness! If she’d have had a colonoscopy two years earlier, she wouldn’t have gone through the agony she endured. At the time of the surgery, her tumor was the size of a baby’s head. We’re glad she kicked cancer’s butt!
Sharone recommends that if you have a colonoscopy, make sure to tell the doctor you want to be knocked out.
Rebecca was the escort for two colonoscopies that month. (Sharone’s and her boyfriend Doug’s) She’s wondering if she should start a colonoscopy escort service.
In a nutshell, we talked about the following:
Note: It’s much funnier if you listen in. Click on the player at the top of this post or subscribe to our show on Itunes so you can listen in on your phone or IPAD.
- The glup you have to take before the procedure and fasting.
- Different ways to enjoy Jell-O
- Diverticulitis –vs diverticulosis and why you may not have to worry so much about eating seeds and nuts.
- Hemoccult test and what they look for in the test that may determine if you need a colonoscopy.
- How to increase your fiber intake without having to take yucky slimy stuff.
- Diet to avoid constipation (yes we go there)
- Comparing an endoscopy to a colonoscopy
- Reflux and why Sharone’s throat was feeling weird. Plus what they did to her nose.
- The throats of Sharone, Donny Osmond and Julie Andrews
- Rebecca tells a story about when she worked with Julie Andrews on a movie.
- What Sharone and Rebecca ate after the colonoscopy.
- How cleanses can make your colon look like a black hole.
- Colonics/enemas – or eating right instead.
- Make sure to drink your water – Just do it.
- Vodka enemas – Don’t do it.
- Old style enemas vs modern enemas
- What’s the best toilet paper? We would love it if you left a comment below because we are confused on what brand to buy.
- Going to the bathroom in Mexico
- Sharone wants you to know she has baby wipes if you need them.
- How Sharone got in trouble with a relative when she mentioned her father’s poop on Facebook.
- Dog poop – We were running out of things to talk about.
- Rebecca aces her cardio tests (stress and echo) and getting out of breath at high altitudes.
- Making sure your doctor gives you tests you need and doesn’t give you tests you don’t need.
- Rant – About a guy in a 60 minutes story that was jacking up prescription drug prices.
- Why you should visit an ophthalmologist or even a chiropractor to check your eyes. They can tell if you are having issues with your circulatory system just by looking at your baby blues, or greens or browns.
- Why you need to take care of yourself and be your own advocate.
- How eating cherries can help cure your gout.
As you can see we cover a lot of ground in this 30 minute show but we guarantee you’ll have fun. Make sure to listen in and tell your friends. We will love you forever if you leave us a review on Itunes.
Don’t forget, we want to know your favorite brand of toilet paper. Please leave your suggestions in the comment box below.